Meghan - Austin, Texas

Maybe There is More to it…

I believe in Halloween, a time to dress up and get free candy, some say there is devil worshiping involved, but I don’t believe that. Cool weather, warm smiles, and a change to finally see your creepy neighbors, the ones that you would never go up and ring their doorbells when the school fundraisers came around. Costumes run from $500 masks and outfits, to the classic ghost sheet, and the teenager in street clothes saying they are a hobo, or babysitter. Every man and women has a change to be young again, childish for one more time before they die, hand out candy and listen to the laughter of the youth. Homemade haunted houses in garages, ones that are $15 a go, holding on to your guy as you pretend to be scared. Halloween is a time to let lose, to stop caring about the “different” things your neighbors do and come to celebrate the things in common.

In Mexico children celebrating Los Dias de los Muertos walk from house to house in their villages receiving full dinners from their neighbors weird or old and the next night it happens all over again. Maybe that’s what we need in suburbia, to live in a community where every neighbor provides a skill or commodity, to help their neighbors around them, everyone has a carpool, and if some ones paycheck runs out a few days too soon, a dinner will be waiting at a neighbor’s.

When I was 4 I was deeply in love with the movie 101 Dalmatians, and I had to be a one for Halloween, and every year after that for the next 3 years. The next year the outfit was tighter, and the next the top could no longer fit at all, so my mom as an attempt to cheer me up got a white t-shirt and drew black spots on it, at age 7 nothing on the costume fit any more, except the mask. After a bit of crying I went out as a witch, with a few accessories from my sister’s old costume.

Though over the years my costumes have changed, I‘ve still celebrated Halloween just the same every year. And as I get older it’s no longer just about free candy it’s about getting out with your friends changing your appearance, and your social stigmas. For one night stay out past 12 on a school night, go trick-or-treating even though countless people tell you your too old, drive around till you find that one haunted house that’s better then the rest, and end the night up at a friends house where you can watch cheesy horror films, and trade candy for that dirty, old pillow case you’ve been carrying. Unlike my Dalmatian costume, I will never grow out of Halloween, and everything it means to me.