joseph - DelCity, Oklahoma

“Social Safety Net”

If you haven’t ever had the opportunity to ride along in an ambulance, it’s a unique experience. During my short time providing care to all the system hands me, I have come to believe a tangible truth. I believe that part of my job is to look out for a section of society that is easy to dismiss: the homeless.

Seeing the brutality of life and the cold touch of reality struck upon another human being is hard to ignore. To be honest, for a time I held inner reservations with assisting those cliental. Unfortantly people do become biohazards and at times public health risks. But as time and compassion has taught me, it is imperative that another human being reach out for these people. I firmly believe that without a good EMS crew, rapid first responders and effective law enforcement, a huge portion of that minority segment of these United States would suffer greatly. It is my role and the role of my fellow public agencies to “take point” in protecting the defenseless.

Public health can be an unpopular, unforgiving choice of employment with demanding hours and requirements. The human factor is easily lost in the dark nights of the city and the system. When no one is watching, human fraility can be subject to the elements of nature or criminal intent. By providing professional pre-hospital care, I help give another person a chance to get on their feet. As a medic and fellow human I must do my part for the homeless population of our city as one day I may need the help of another. This I believe.