Haley - Indianapolis, Indiana
Themes: peace, war

In 1914, World War One. In 1939 there was World War Two. Korean War, in 1950. Of course there was the popular Vietnam War in 1961. In 1989, there was the Tiananmen Square Protests. Most recently is the War on Terrorism, which began in 2003. Looking at these wars, and how long they were, makes be believe, it’s impossible for peace to fit in, in the tight schedule of violence the world seems so interested with.

On Google, I typed in the five letters that are only dreamt and imagined about. Peace. Shocked by what seemed like so much at the time, I decided to type in the three letters that are heard all over the world. War. I find it strangely, but not surprisingly interesting that war had 300,000 more results come up more than peace. I believe there is no peace. I believe that the things that came up about peace on Google were the goals are leaders were originally trying to achieve when starting wars. America alone has been craving and desiring peace, since the creating of the country. Yet they still haven’t gotten it. As for myself, I don’t think I or my kids will ever get to see if peace is real, and how you can reach that certain point of happiness, that you call peace. I’m an extremely strong believer in seeing is believing, It’s hard for me to believe there is peace, when the people that tell me about it; haven’t seen it either. I believe it came from someone like me, who wants and needs peace to feel calm and secure. Or maybe it’s only an imaginary word, which came from the drugged out hippies in the 60s and 70s, who saw everyone getting along. Wherever it came from, I don’t believe in it; and I don’t think I will until people start to use common sense, and see that that happiness is just as hard to create as war. I also believe that anything is possible, and if we get everyone, to not necessarily agree on everything, but to understand that we all have our own thoughts and beliefs, that peace that can be created. I think it’s unbelievable that when it doesn’t take that much, we all can’t make the effort to not be so ignorant and just get along with each other. Yet we use billions of dollars, and risk millions of lives, just to reach a higher level of violence. I believe that seeing is believing, and peace is in the closet waiting to come out.