Samuel - Indianapolis, Indiana
Themes: love, tolerance

I believe that the thing we need most in this world is love. I’m not talking about the kind of love that only two people can truly feel, the kind of love that keeps a couple married for their entire lifetime. Although, that kind of love is by no means a bad thing. I’m talking about the kind of unconditional love that I believe should be offered by everyone, to everyone.

Interestingly enough, the place you can find this kind of love is most often inside children. You might say this is just innocence, but if you remember correctly, there is hardly any animosity in your early childhood. As those more experienced, we believe we know the truth, and that you can’t freely trust. Yet how do we believe we’re right, when most adults are too wary and unhappy, and most children are so divinely carefree? Children love everyone, and give trust freely until they have reason not to. What kind of malice destroys this unconditional love that we find in youth? Why can’t we again let our guard down, and simply let others be?

I remember sitting in a relative’s house in Florida one day, a couple years ago. We were visiting my uncle’s stepson’s family. When my uncle married my aunt, she brought along two kids from her previous marriage. At this time, they were both grown up. The oldest, Christopher, had a young boy named Andrew, or Drew. Drew was very young, only four or five years old, and was filled with this so elusive love. We were watching the news, a report about the War in Iraq, with some miscellaneous government official giving it. I wasn’t really paying attention, until I looked at Drew’s face. He was wide eyed for about five minutes. Soon, he turned to his father and said “Daddy? Why is everyone fighting?” Christopher proceeded to explain to him that our soldiers were defending our country. “That’s dumb,” remarked Drew, “People should just love each other, like you and Mommy love each other. Why don’t they?” I could see on everyone’s face that they started to dismiss this idea, and I thought “Why? What makes people so hard?” This day was the first time I noticed Drew’s unconditional trust, which I had mistaken for innocence.

Since then, I’ve adopted this belief. I believe it shouldn’t matter where you came from, or what race you are. I believe trust should be given without reason, until it is obviously no longer an option. Most of all, I believe we should all love each other, without holding back, without needing proof. If this could just happen, I think we’d have made a great step towards realizing what it really means to be human. There’s just not enough love. This I believe.