David - Austin, Texas

In my junior year of high school, after years of being a brooding, depressed, needy teenager, I suddenly realized that there was little reason to be unhappy. I saw my life in a new perspective, and I saw not the weighted grades or fragile relationships but, instead, my excellence in academics, success in theatre and music, and many bonding friendships. I realized that there was little to be worried about and that my life was actually really good. All around me since middle school I’ve been surrounded by drama queens and melancholy teenagers, and there just is no need to over-dramatize the inevitable bumps along the road that come across as a youth. I have learned to leave the disappointments and setbacks behind and move on to the brighter points of life. Since then, I have felt increasingly happier, and no longer do I feel like the world is on my shoulders, because it simply isn’t. I appreciate my accomplishments and know that there is more to come. No longer do I feel incessantly burdened by a project in school or fear of a failed task. I know that my abilities will follow through, and it allows me to live more freely, making life ever the more enjoyable.

Recently I had participated in the audition process for the Texas All-State Choir and had done very well in the first few rounds of auditioning. I felt confident that I would make the choir and I finished my final audition with an accomplished feeling. The expectation of the pleasures and honor of being an All-State Choir member filled me with joy and anticipation. But when the results were called, I was not one of the names. This was a huge blow. Making the choir had been one of my prominent goals for months. Yet, I did not let it bring me into a state of sorrow. I cannot deny that I was very disappointed, but I told myself to not obsess over a setback, however horrible it may seem to be at the time. To even get as far in the audition process as I did, I knew that I had great skill in singing. I knew there was far much more that could be done in life. So, instead of lagging behind in defeat, I charge forward with more voice lessons and now hope to make a local professional choir as my voice continues to develop.

I feel that I have lived my life well, and I look forward to the many opportunities that lay ahead. I do not fear the future, for I can imagine a more educated and more mature lifestyle, enhancing the appreciation that I feel now as a young adult. To live becomes so exciting. The chance to live with fewer inhibitions, less hesitation, to spring to a new challenge. The end result is far more satisfying than worrying too much about the consequences. No matter what happens, I can find something to aim for, to make me happy. I believe in happiness.