Zach - pflugerville, Texas

After digging through my brain trying to figure out what it is exactly that I do believe in, I have come to the conclusion that no matter what if I believe one thing, I believe in its opposite, so I suppose that I believe in contradictions.

I believe in God, I believe that there is some sort of higher power guiding my way through life, setting my future out before me so that all I have to do is not do anything to screw it up, but yet I do not go to church, I do not practice my religion, and I am one of those people that might one day ask you to show me proof that there is a God somewhere up above us.

I believe in the advancement of technology, I believe that it is for our own good that we be able to become more technologically advanced so that we can better our economy and our future world but yet I am also one who will not put file sharing programs or services on my computer because I cannot even think about the possibility of someone getting a hold of any personal information I may have on my computer. I also don’t want to receive a virus that some other idiot posted because they thought it might be funny to ruin someone else’s personal property that they paid a whole lot of money for. I am one of the people that said that dropping the atomic bomb on Japan in the 1940s was a good thing because it ended the war more quickly than it would have ended if we continued fighting, but I am also one to concede that those same blueprints having fallen into the wrong hands can mean bring trouble for the United States and the rest of the world.

I believe in kindness, I believe that we all have the capability of being good people and that we should try to be as nice as we possibly can at all times, yet I have come to understand why some people can become so angry with someone else. As my dad often says while driving “I completely understand road rage. I completely understand why someone would get out of their car, go to someone else’s, pull them out of their car and then beat the crap out of them.” Again, I believe in kindness but I also believe that we should be who we are, even if that means one person should be a criminal and a nuisance to society. We shouldn’t try to change a person just because we want them to behave in a certain way; if they don’t want to be nice, then fine, let them be constantly mean and let them see where it gets them.

With every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, it’s a basic law of physics; with every conviction and belief, there is always and opposite one, my own basic law of life.