Kayla - White Swan, Washington

I believe in fair treatment

Before settling in the Mt. Adams school district, I attended about seven different schools. At every school I attended there were always minority students and never once did I feel like those students were getting treated better than me until my junior year at White Swan High School.

I always made tons of friends at every school I attended. My friendships were never based on somebody’s race, religion, or cultural background. I mean let’s face it, when you’re growing up that stuff is never really important. What’s important to children is making new friends and having fun.

You hear a lot of people say that they were brought up and taught to not discriminate or treat anyone unfairly because of their differences. Well my parents did not have to teach me, I already understood that treating someone unfairly because of their differences is wrong.

The first time I felt like I was being treated unfairly at my high school was my junior year. I tried to sit in on a meeting they were having in the library about a nursing program. Well it turns out that is was only for the minorities. They told me I was not eligible for the program. It was kind of embarrassing being the only one who had to leave. Another incident took place just a couple of months ago. I’m a senior now and we all know what that means, time to whip out our checkbooks and credit cards because our senior year can get pretty expensive.I think my counselor understood that because she came into my second period class and started handing everyone papers explaining to them that this is a great opportunity to get some of their graduation things paid for. Well I was the only one in the classroom that was not presented with this opportunity. If you have not already guessed, it was only for the minority students.

To me it’s like this, when you’re a counselor at a school you shouldn’t pick and choose who should be presented with these great opportunities, everybody should have the same fair chance at something like this. If someone does not qualify, keep searching for a similar opportunity for them. If a student is not eligible for certain programs, help them find one they are qualified for. Do not let any student feel like they are being singled out. Luckily for me I am a very strong young woman who knows what I want in life and won’t let anyone stop me from reaching my goals.

Be Fair. Help those who aren’t strong enough to help themselves.

By: Kayla Higginbotham