Alexander - Las Vegas, Nevada

Last year, I witnessed my friend Josh write his college admission essay to USC ten minutes before the deadline. He got accepted straight up, without being put on the waiting list. The USC deadline is in a week, and I choose to wait until the last day to start my application as well. I believe in: studying ten minutes before a test, starting math homework at 2:00am, and writing an essay half an hour before class starts – I believe in procrastination.

Getting something done ahead of time never comes out that great. When one thinks about a plan of action to accomplish a task, they brainstorm. Brainstorming can be your best friend, or most likely – your absolute worst enemy. Starting an assignment before hand allows us to second-guess ourselves and leaves a lot of room for error. When procrastinating and waiting until the last minute, one is only given enough time to produce their best thoughts.

I believe the best thoughts are produced when they are forced. Procrastination is the ultimate form of motivation, nothing can be compared. It provides that drive and motivation one need to get an assignment done, and get a rewarding grade as well. It was 4:00am last semester and I had to write my final English101 essay; of course it was due in four hours. I thought about what my essay topic was going to be a long time in advance, but when it came down to the wire my thoughts just flow. I thought for about five minutes and started to type my essay. I had a dictionary and thesaurus opened next to me, something I would never do if I had started the assignment on time, and a Starbucks coffee in my hand. I wrote my final English101 paper in about two hours. One final draft – it was absolutely flawless. On top of all this, I still had a whopping 45 minutes to sleep.

When I procrastinate, a plethora of the best ideas hit me all at once and I am not stressed anymore. The assignment itself puts a minute amount of stress on me, but procrastination gives me that addicting adrenaline rush that results in my best work. Every test I have ever taken I have studied probably the night before or a couple minutes before class. I am in the top fifteen percentile of my class and I have accomplished more than the average student. Whether it is reading the test material the night before or doing homework ten minutes before class starts, procrastination has been the ultimate key to my success.