Kathy - Port Angeles, Washington

Last night I got home from the work pretty late. I walked into the kitchen, poured myself a glass of wine and stood at the counter sipping. My mind was still in high gear, reviewing the events of the day and making a mental list of what I still needed to do before bed.

I don’t know how long I stood there in that slump-shouldered, weary stance (I’m sure you can relate… we’ve all been there too often). But all of a sudden I noticed… my glass was empty!

I didn’t even remember drinking the wine and, worse… hadn’t even TASTED it!

That was it!

I changed clothes, stomped downstairs to our combined home offices, handed my husband his tennis shoes and bellowed, “We’re going for a walk!”

Whether coming home from work or working out of your home, too often we just transition from one job to another, never stopping even if just for 30 minutes.

Quality over quantity: that’s my new motto right now. I’m committed to making it work. No more feeling guilty or sorry for myself.

So picture this in your mind’s eye: my husband and I are walking hand-in-hand, talking and just enjoying our togetherness. All the while I’m looking for a white rock on the beach.

Why? Well, I’ve started a pile of white stones back at the house to remind me of our “get-aways.” I pick up a new one each time we get out. And I’m continually eyeing that pile to make sure it grows.

I’m still the same triple-A, goal-oriented person. But now when I drive home I always look over at my pile of white rocks. It’s a visual reminder of what’s important in life and makes me feel good.

This weekend we scheduled 30 minutes to pick blackberries (and spent over an hour). Bee sting included, it was another special memory. No white rocks but I found a bunch of dried weeds that I thought would look good in a pot.

Remember… live La Dolce Vida! Just be sure to define what “The Good Life” means for you!