Christina - Las Vegas, Nevada
Themes: change

Water

I believe in water. Not so much in the water itself, but in the way that it changes its shape according to where it is, and in the way that it can go from liquid to solid and from solid to liquid. I believe in water: in the sturdy way that people themselves act this way too. People try to fit in and act different ways depending on what environment they are in. They change back and forth like water to ice and ice to water.

Seventeen years old and a senior in high school, I have witnessed a lot of these aspects of water and ice. All around me, I see people changing the way they are to fit in to a certain group or environment and I admit that I am among these people. For example, when I am with my boss, I act more responsibly and my speech is more sophisticated than it is when I am with friends. The same aspect applies to parents and teachers. When I talk to them, I speak more properly than I would if I were talking to my friends. At school I am quiet unless I am required to answer a question; at my job I work hard and only say what is needed; at a friend’s house I laugh and joke around; at home I am relaxed and I talk all the time. I change the way I act according to the environment in which I am placed.

Like water, people change form when they need to adapt to a new environment or a new event. When I broke my leg, I had to adjust my way of doing things, such as walking with crutches, not playing soccer, and having to do everything slower. When I changed my job from K-Mart to Las Vegas Athletic Club child care, I had to change my ways again. After working at K-Mart for one and a half years, I knew what needed to be done, but when I began working at the childcare center, everything was new and unexpected. Another life-changing event was when my parents divorced. Many changes occurred, such as moving to a new house and having a stepdad; I had to adapt to each one. I adapt to new situations just like water.

Water is an element that symbolizes each and every person. Every person has had to adapt to new surroundings or changes at least once in their lives. It represents peoples’ lifestyles as a whole. It represents the way people act. It represents me. I am water.