Cherie - Claymont, Delaware
Themes: death

Give the Gift of Peace of Mind

My dad always said, “I don’t want you to worry about me, just take care of yourself and your boys”.

Little did we know that the day for me to worry more was fast approaching. He had a stroke the day before I turned 25. Unable to be awoken by my sister, he was rushed to the hospital. There he lie in a coma for days finally to awaken and seemingly start to get better, only to slip into a cardiac arrest and return to a coma for another 5 or so, days. We once held hope for a partial recovery that could bring him home (with needed assistance), but after seeing no true changes for 2+ months, we had begun to deal with the inevitable – a poor prognosis for his quality of life.

He said not to worry, but that’s all I do, yet now his mind is so simple & this man now barely knows me anymore. He does not see my pain because his memory is gone; this man now doesn’t know what his life is or used to be.

Having no life insurance or will, his children are forced to make the major decisions for him. I am not mad, just terribly saddened for the person I call Dad doesn’t even know me, but I know him and who he used to be and this will continue to live thru me.

This all happened July 30, 2006. Today he is still in the hospital, still in his own new world, still unsure of who I am, still unsure of himself.

Give your children the gift of peace of mind; make a will, get life insurance. Talk openly about your wishes before a major illness or worse happens, so that your children may grieve a little easier when the inevitable hardship comes. I believe that giving our children some instructions, in a sense, gives them one of the greatest gifts during very hard times – peace of mind in knowing what you would have wanted for yourself.