Daphne - Las Vegas, Nevada

I believe in open books sprawled on empty desks and glowing computer screens abandoned in vacant rooms. Looking in on this scene, the essence of procrastination irradiates from every source; the occasional disorder needed for the preservation of our sanity in a pallid world, as well as our ceaseless curiosity to push our limits, resonates clearly in this snapshot.

I had a midterm creeping up, and the teacher forced upon us a tiresome, but useful study sheet some two weeks ahead of time. I, of course, disregarded such early attempts to prepare for the midterm. Many of my friends, however, worried about the test months in advance, paying their stress in weekly, if not daily, installments. I saw no need for such an ordeal, so instead I placed my focus on the assignments that needed immediate attention and completed those first. I allowed for such a risky, and almost irresponsible, decision only because I knew my capacity for cramming.

After numerous experiments, I found that studying the night before a test sufficiently prepared my mind. And viewing this midterm as a longer, more tedious version, I set off to see how well my skills would perform when facing a greater challenge. When only two days were left before the exam, I initiated my most recent investigation on my studying abilities. In the beginning, the amount of subjects covered on the review sheet overwhelmed me, but after a few deep breaths (and a couple of panic attacks), I managed to categorize the subjects; I sought out items that I couldn’t define from the top of my head, and I prioritized these weaknesses. I started off with the ones I somewhat knew and slowly moved on to the subjects that only drew blanks from my gray matter.

When exam day came slamming through, I nervously took my seat and reluctantly accepted the exam. But once I started, I realized that because I had studied so recently all the information was still fresh in my exhausted brain. Had I slowly studied every single subject two weeks in advance, I probably would have sat in that desk the majority of the time seeking feverishly and ultimately futilely for the information lost in a sea of random information. When I got my results back the following week, I had apparently scored higher than some of my friends that had studied as soon as they received the review sheet.

So for those that can keep procrastination in moderation, leaving your books open and watching T.V. may not be as deadly as everyone claims. But only when someone knows their capacity and realistically pushes those limits can they truly enjoy dilly-dallying.