John - Middleburg, Florida
Themes: question, science

I often think about Einstein and whether any of us truly understand what he was trying to tell us. He used to wonder what it would be like to ride a light beam. What would space and time be like if we could ride a light beam? He discovered that space and time are both relative to the speed we are traveling in relation to someone else who is at rest. If I am traveling at the speed of light (riding that light beam) then you (the person at rest) will be long gone when I return. In fact, everything and everyone I knew would be long gone because thousands or even millions of years could have passed by in the day or so of my time and space compressed light beam that I have been riding on. If this is so, then people who do travel at such speeds could time their visits so that they appear to us every thousand, ten thousand, or million years and, while they will be only a day or so older, we at rest folks will have passed through many generations. As my priest, Father Rooney would say; “Some thoughts.”