Donald - Clarksburg, West Virginia
Themes: Christianity

I believe in miracles and the power of prayer.

More years ago than I care to admit, something happened to me, but perhaps more importantly to someone I didn’t even know, and it was for me a fantastic event that would forever change my belief in miracles and the power of prayer.

Shortly before Christmas, while I sat at my desk at a Government Contracting facility in Pennsylvania, the Lt. Col., my Commanding Officer, called me to his office to receive a briefing from him on the duties I would assume once he departed in a few days for ten weeks of intensive training at the Army War College. The Colonel got right to the point when he began his briefing by giving me the bad news: “Don, I’m sorry to tell you this, but while I’m away, you’ll have to represent the command at the funeral of one of our federal employees who works in our New York Office. Ruth is her name. Ruth is a 36-year old married mother of two young children who has inoperable brain cancer. She isn’t expected to live to see Christmas I’m afraid. “ And, with Christmas only a few weeks away, his words were simply a sword through my heart to hear, and even harder to accept. How could God permit a young woman, with a loving husband and two small children, to die such a horrible death, right before Christmas, leaving her children motherless? This is what I was agonizing over as I left the briefing and returned to my desk.

Filled with intense sympathy, I began praying to God on Ruth’s behalf, harder than I’ve ever prayed before. Suddenly, a voice spoke to me. The interior voice, that of a male, very calmly said, “Don, start a prayer cenacle at work, pray for Ruth and she will be healed by Christmas.” I was overwhelmed by the experience of what had just occurred, but I knew this was something I had to do.

That evening , not fully understanding the importance of the experience I had had earlier that day, I had many doubts as I prepared for to bed, even more doubts that people would think me crazy for asking them to pray with me for Ruth. In a dream that night, an angel appeared to me and I was told again what I needed to do. The angel said I wasn’t to worry about asking people to join me in prayer for Ruth; but, what the angel didn’t tell me was why.

When I arrived to work the next morning, I approached the first person who I thought might help me in my mission . At first, Marie listened intently as I began to ask her to join me in my prayer cenacle, when she suddenly and unexpectedly interrupted me by saying, “Don, I had a dream last night that you would come to see me this morning to ask me to join you in praying for Ruth’s healing. Sure, I’d like to do that.” I was completely shocked by Marie’s reply to my request, but then I understood why the angel in my dream had told me not to worry. Even more unbelievable was the fact that I received nearly identical responses from every person I approached that morning with my request. So, that day at noon, our group of about ten persons gathered in the conference room at lunchtime to begin our prayer cenacle for Ruth. We joined hands around the conference table and we each took turns reciting prayers for the 30 minutes available to us, each of us willingly sacrificing our lunch time for Ruth’s healing.

A week or so of daily prayer went by when, as it was now less than a week before Christmas, a couple of employees told us they would be traveling to New York on business and would check in on Ruth to see how she was doing, and they would report back to us on her progress.

A couple of days later, while our group was in the middle of prayers for Ruth at the usual noon hour, the employees who had traveled to New York suddenly burst into the conference room, filled with excitement. “We have to tell you the good news about Ruth!” they said. All eyes and ears immediately turned their attention to the returning travelers. The travelers announced that Ruth’s doctors were simply dumb-founded on their re-examination of her brain, to discover she no longer showed any sign of cancer which had only weeks earlier been found to be so advanced, she had been given only a few weeks to live. Her doctors said there was no medical explanation; it simply had to be a miracle!

Although I was likewise overjoyed as every one else was over the good news we received about Ruth, I knew that because I had heeded the call to prayer for Ruth, that the news we would receive with unspeakable joy would be nothing short of a miracle, a miracle of healing, and a testament to the power of prayer.