Josephine - Austin, Texas
Themes: hope

“Hold fast to dreams,

For if dreams die,

Life is a broken-winged bird,

That cannot fly” (Langston Hughes)

I believe in the human capacity for hope. I believe in the power of pursuing your dreams. I believe in the fortitude of my family.

My father, in particular, has made a tremendous impact on my life. He is the reason I strive to become an oncologist. My desire to pursue a career in medicine was heavily influenced by my father when he was diagnosed with lymphoma cell cancer nearly three years ago. It was at the time we received news of his cancer that I realized what I wanted become. I realized that my pursuit of a career in medicine could give me the opportunity to benefit my father and those like him—those who refuse to give up, those who refuse to let a disease bring them down, and, like me, those who refuse to have their spirits broken. It was this realization and this desire to make a difference in the lives of others that gave me the strength to carry through these trials.

When my father was diagnosed with cancer, my mother and sister both stood and continue to stand devotedly by his side. They have kept our faith strong, our hearts hopeful, and our spirits soaring. Throughout my life, my family has instilled within me the importance of never giving up on a dream. They are the true embodiment of courage, hope, and determination.

My family’s strength also inspires me to persevere through life’s adversities. They have taught me so much about life. They are my source of strength in times of distress; my cherished comfort in times of fear; my rock of salvation in times of lost hope. My family has taught me that, “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. Although the adversities of life may burden us down with thoughts of giving up, the greatest stories of success start with never giving in.”