Zachary - Tucson, Arizona

I believe that ever person we interact with in life helps to shape who we are, even if it’s only brief, as well as all the little things we do.

Of course there are people in my life who I see all the time who have effected me…shaped me into the person I am now; obviously my family, above all my cousin Brenda, who I love with all my heart, but there are other people too who have made me, me. Best friends, teachers, icons, people I see all the time and have to rub off on me.

Yet, I also believe that even the people you may speak with for only moments, can affect the person you become. I can remember a long time ago I went to a summer camp up in the mountains. There was this camp counselor there that was in charge of another group, and I remember drifting into his tent one day, carried by the sound of his guitar. After talking with him briefly I only saw him a few other times around camp, and after that, never again. The thing is though, since then, I’ve loved acoustic guitar and wanted to learn to play more than anything.

I think the little things affect you as well. I was asked to audition for Peter Pan on Broadway; I got a call back but unfortunately couldn’t make it. After that I was asked to be in the musical production Assassins, my part was as minimal as they get and I had to go to hours and hours of rehearsal. I didn’t mind though, I actually really enjoyed it; I would sit and watch the leads singing with voices in characters I wished I could be. Just from sitting there, I fell in love with the art, and I can’t think of another thing I would like to do in life.

Maybe I’m crazy but I just feel like every little thing I do, and every person I meet, helps to alter who I am just slightly. Say I meet a person and they have far too much to say, here I have only met them and they are raving on and on with their life story, I don’t think I would ever do the same thing. Perhaps I come across a person in the airport who is so kind and lets me cut in line at the drink stand, they can see I’m in a hurry and have the time to let me in front of them. Clearly I would be put in a better mood and may in the future try to do the same. People are constantly altering who I am and most the time I don’t even realize it, I may bump into someone and admire the shirt they are wearing, which may alter my style. It’s cool to think about it, that there are people all over the place who slightly alter who I am, who I have become today.