Veronica - Pflugerville, Texas

I believe my family’s tradition of a woman depending on a man should

be ended. All my life I have been taught to go to college and become

successful just so that the “right man” such as a doctor or a lawyer

should step into my life. Every older woman in my family, the people I

look up to every single day that has taken care of me since the

beginning of my life has always been told to depend on a man for money,

strength and the ability to succeed in life.

I believe although my Mother, Aunts and Sisters have been

great role models throughout my life I believe that there beliefs are

false. I believe that women shouldn’t stump themselves down just so

that the big strong dominant man should sweep her off her feet and take

care of her from the rest of the world. I believe that we shouldn’t

just marry doctors and lawyers, but become doctors and lawyers ourselves.

I have disagreed with my family all my life and discovered that I am very much different from any woman in it. They believe every achieved goal, every success in life is one step farther to becoming a happy married woman. My aunts always have told me to learn how to cook, to take care of myself and to become smarter everyday but what they really mean is to take care of myself for the educated sophisticated man to come along so that I can live basically happily ever after. I’ve always been told that women are weak in my family and that no matter what we will always need a man to guide us through life but I believe the men in my family need us more than we need them. Of course my father, uncles and brothers have been great providers but I believe there is more than life than making babies and being the perfect housewife.

I believe that I will be the first women in my family that doesn’t need a knight and shining armor to rescue me. I believe whatever I may become, whatever life gives me, I won’t always need someone to take care of me and that I will become successful for only myself and not anyone else.