Ellen - seattle, Washington

Beliefs, beliefs are important to me, there is never a dumb belief because if a person lives a certain way and believes that killing animals is wrong and that you shouldn’t eat meat, then I would respect that and not make fun of it. For me, I have many beliefs but one of my important beliefs is about acceptance. Acceptance is important to me because when I was younger, the elementary school I went to was really accepting but the people in it weren’t. When I was in 2nd grade, there was this girl name Nawal and she was really quiet, weird, shy, and stared at people a lot, which was probably the reason she was called “cootygirl”. Most of the people in my class thought she had cooties and never wanted to touch her or even stand a foot from her.

I discovered this belief not so long ago but couple years ago when I was in middle school by there were this new girl with an oversized forehead. When she walked into the class, everybody started scuffing and trying to not laugh even though she knew they were laughing at her. She felt immediately unwanted and I felt bad and wanted to help. So I just started talking to her and getting to know her while my friends were looking at me crazy like “ewww, why are you talking to her?” I didn’t care because she needed someone to accept her. I felt good about that moment.

When I was growing up from that year of making fun of Nawal, I would always look back and thought of how cruel of a girl I was and my friends. I never knew how much I hurt her but even though I can’t take it back, I could prevent it from happening. So from then on, I became an accepting person, no matter what color you are, what you wear, or what you look like, you are welcomed to be my pal, buddy, or friend.