Andrew - Austin, Texas
Themes: children

I believe in the foolishness of today’s children. Not knowledge stupidity, but action stupidity. We live for the individual charging blindly through everything that “looks” like it stands in our way. We live in ignorance, even though it draws ridicule from our peers and scorn from those who care about the rest of our lives. We cheat, lie, steal, and swindle and get away with it. And then, when the hammer does fall, we complain that “It’s not fair,” “Your being too harsh,” “This never happened before”, “Give me one more chance.” We are never truly tried and tested, until it’s too late. Life is pain princess; Life is smarter than you prince, and anyone who tells you differently, wants you money.

An example inhabits the conflict over racial purity know by its common tag, racism. Those who, once upon a time, several decades ago, were inhibited in their pursuit of the unalienable rights of mankind, now have turned the tables. They, instead of being treated like everyone else, force the hand of the powers to tip the scales in their favor. According to them, anything else is repression. So now, the minorities in this country, some of which are steadily on their way to being a minority no longer, receive scholarships and benefits; receive preferenced admission to organizations and committees; receive chance after chance after chance, just so the respective groups can meet quotas, and so no child is ever left behind.

Ignorance, coldhearted righteousness and drug-like sloth permeate the entirety of civilization. Ignorance is bliss, and bliss is the ultimate goal of every single human bean on this dear planet we call earth. Bliss does not include global warming, terrorism, or the failure rates. Bliss does include money, drugs, and sex. Bliss does not include respect, patience, and knowledge. Bliss does include shame, microwaves, and ignorance. Bliss does not include faith, hope, and love. Bliss does include distrust, fear, and divorce. Bliss does not include the poor, the weak, and the weary. Bliss does include me, me, me.

No matter what the cost, we live in ignorance of that we don’t feel like learning about. No matter how long we live or how knowledgeable we are, there will always be those special instances that confound us and drive us to the edge of giving up or giving into the pressures of things we know are bad for us. Many people are pushed over that edge. They destroy their future, those around them, and the survival of sentience. You say, “Why should we care? You speak as if there is nothing we can do to save ourselves.” No. That is not the case, for every “bad” thing there is an equally as potent “good” thing. Our remedy is simple. Let the knowledge and experience of the past not stay in the past. Let adults in the world step up and force the children of the world to walk through a refining. I believe in the foolishness of today’s children. But more importantly, I believe in the wisdom of the ages.