Adriana - Pflugerville, Texas

Like most people, I working against the daily grind; some just getting through the month, others the week, and others the next hour, I have found out what gets me though the seemingly endless minutes that compile my day, it isn’t coffee, it isn’t Zoloft, it isn’t even alcohol. What get me through my day are the little things.

A little thing is like an inside joke between you and Life because most of the time other people just don’t get it. I do not know what it is about finding that penny on the ground, blowing bubbles, or swinging on a swing for just the hell of it but those little moments are what make life so great. A simple hug can help a sad friend, a smile at a stranger can change his/her day, looking someone in the eye when you greet him/her can make that person feel significant, and simply touching someone on the shoulder can become a volume of encouragement.

I love getting drawings from my little cousins and I love the way that my mother’s face lights up when I pick wildflowers for her after taking a walk on the trail. I find it hard to get through my workday without having a couple of laughs with my co-workers about something that probably isn’t that funny. I love that moment of triumph when I finally get that song out of my head after it’s been stuck there for hours. I can’t tell you how great it is having someone call me in the middle of the day just to tell me that they love me. Or realizing that I’m using my lucky pen to complete an essay, or seeing the sun break out from underneath the clouds. Or… or looking up at the stars and re-realizing how big the sky is and how very small I am, like I said, I don’t get it but these are all things that help me appreciate the life that I have. I may not have the most money, the latest phone, or best life, but I have great friends, a loving family and all that and the surprising little things, that is all I need.