Thanh - Austin, Texas

This I Believe in Etiquettes

I believe in etiquettes; the one aspect of decorum, the code that governs the expectations of a person’s social behavior. Though most etiquettes are presented as an unwritten code, it may be expressed or expected in written forms. I believe that today’s society needs to be more familiar with the proper etiquettes necessary to lead our lives so that we don’t become too industrialized, too modern, or even too human for that matter. We should not let our natural instincts overcome our ability to behave like well-civilized and well-educated people should. I believe that etiquette teaches us to behave based on one unverisal concept despite ethnical, cultural, or educational differences. Etiquette unites us, whether we can see it or not. Imagine a world where there are no etiquettes, where people are left to govern their own social behavior by their own free will or natural instincts. How many fights will there be? How many boys and girls will become carelessly promiscuous? How many adults will be disrespected, regardless of their status or location? How many times will we hear loud music in the middle of the night? We are spared from these situations by the knowledge of etiquettes. We are more respectful, more mannered, and more tolerant because it exists. “Culture” is also a word that have grown to become a plural, especially in a multi-ethnic society with many clashing expectations, and I believe that etiquette is the sole reason for why we have tolerated as much as we have of others’ belief system, and for that, we can expect the same in return for ours. Etiquette may be used as a social weapon, as an adoption of a superficial manner we are required to carry with us at all times in the interest of social advancement and a civlized evolution.