Rachel - Hickory, North Carolina
Themes: pleasure

I believe in the little moments, the moments in life that everyone takes for granted and lets go out the window of his or her mind. Everyone has experienced a little moment, for example, a person smiling on the street on a tough day can turn anyone’s day around. Little, kind actions from strangers can be influential on a person’s mindset. All of the little moments in life can prove to be the most important ones.

There are so many little moments in my life that later on have turned into lasting memories. A woman, who I barely knew at my church, attended an event that was out of her comfort zone in order to show that she supported me. This moment showed me, even though I did not realize it then, that people all around me supported me in my actions and wanted me to be successful. When she came to my event, it was one of the most meaningful memories in my life at my church.

Not all of the little moments in my life were in a happy situation when they occurred. Some moments were moments of parting. I moved from Nebraska to North Carolina after living in Nebraska for fourteen years of my life. On the day we found out we would be moving to North Carolina it began to snow and as I looked out the window I broke into tears. I went to my mother for comfort but she only ended up crying with me. We sat in our living room to watch it snow and cry for half an hour. Sitting and crying with my mother was the closest to my mother. Our little moment together had a lasting impact on my relationship with my mother.

In today’s American society people are big picture oriented and work at a very fast pace. Due to the fast pace of life, the little moments seem to pass by until you look at them in retrospect. Americans need to stop, take a deep breath, and enjoy the little moments in life. True appreciation of life is commonly overlooked by facts and figures. As a society, people need to savor these little moments, which commonly mean the most.

In a song written and sung by Mac Davis, he tells us “…There’s a whole lot more to life than work and worry/ The sweetest things in life are free/And there right before your eyes/ You got to Stop and Smell the roses/ You’ve got to count your many blessings everyday…” I believe these lyrics are a philosophy Americans should apply to everyday life. The little moments are the ones that truly define people’s essence.