Emily - Hickory, North Carolina

This I Believe Essay

“Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes, and dance.” This quote is from the lips of Oprah Winfrey-a woman of many shoes. Shoes are piece of art that can reflect our moods, and walk us through some of the best and worst times in our lives. For example, wearing silver ballet flats to Texas Stadium resulted in the victory over the Arizona Cardinals. Also, wearing tweed converse to a hockey game resulted in a victory over Augusta Lynx by the Charlotte Checkers. No wonder women have so many pairs of shoes, they are good luck charms.

Shoes ranging from stilettos to converse reflect our ever changing moods. Stilettos create a shadowy unknown side. Dressing up in stilettos increases self-confidence and sexiness. Stilettos create the image as if you are on top of the world and everyone is watching you. On the Red Carpet, celebrities are idolized because of their high-fashion and sex appeal. The risqué appearance is enhanced by their heels. On the reverse side of foxy stilettos, Converses are the epitome of a carefree, free-bird shoes brand. These flat sneakers make for the perfect playground trompers. These sneakers made for jeans or sweats create a relaxed shoe for a high-strung world. Along with the Converse feel, flip-flops are a fun, flirty shoe made for any age. Flip-flops are easy to slip on and off-made for people in a hurry. Flip-flops create the daydreaming image of a day-at-the-beach. Along with stilettos, Converse, and flip-flops-flats, boots, and loafers can shape or show our mood, or fit our fashion in everyday life.

Shoes not only describe our mood, but walk us through (literally) the most exciting or devastating times of our lives. Wearing stilettos at funerals, to glitzy heels at weddings, and lace-ups at sporting events, can shape some of the most memorable times of our lives. For example, a historic pair of shoes could be Dorothy’s shoes from the timeless classic, The Wizard of Oz. These shoes are now displayed in the Smithsonian in our nation’s capitol, Washington DC. These shoes molded what the movie industry has become in the last century.

Hence, the moral of the story is wear cute shoes because people are watching you.