Cristina - las vegas, Nevada
Themes: love

Money, Money, Money

How is it possible to live a comfortable life without money in today’s American culture? When people think of a moneyless life, they picture homeless people in torn rags pushing shopping carts, or holding “please help, I am hungry” signs. Without money, there is no life.

I believe that money is everything. With money, I feel secure and financially stabled. Not necessarily does having money mean being a millionaire or billionaire and living in a monstrous mansion, but it simply means having something to fall back on, having something to feel secure with, and not having to worry of being an unfortunate bum roaming the streets lurking for food in dumpsters at night. I remember when I saw this homeless man standing on the side of the street while the beaming sun glared upon him as he was awaiting for nice, friendly, and caring people of the community to roll down their windows and kindly hand him a dollar or two. He was not smiling, and his face was completely dark, so dark that a shadow hovered over it completely which blocked his personality from escaping his inner soul. All I saw was a face, not serious, not normal, just dry, and dead. Looking at his man’s face scared me, but I could not resist; I rolled my window down, and spared him some change. Although it was only a few coins, as he walked to my car, and accepted the money, and only for that moment, his mouth formed an irreplaceable smile.

With that moment, I came to the conclusion that money is everything. Without money, he

or she would feel useless and dead. Even though some people may say that money can never buy love or happiness, who needs love when money is looming all about their minds at the moment. Do homeless people need love? Maybe they do care for some comfort, but what they worries about the most is what they would eat the next day, what is the weather like, are the clothes sufficient enough for the harsh winters, or are the soles of the shoes able to survive for another year, and most of all, where the next shelter will be at. With money, all these insecurities are covered. With money, I would have my bills paid, have a place to come home to, and have warm water to bathe in.

Therefore, money is everything. One rarely would see someone graciously smiling as they are pushing shopping carts down the road, digging up food from dumpsters, wearing torn clothes, or holding a sign asking for assistance. However, one would usually see a financially satisfied person with a grinning personality. Maybe he or she would be upset for the absence of love, but the smile is still there because of the self-satisfaction from the comfort of their greens in the bank.