Erik - Louisville, Colorado

“Money isn’t happiness”

We all learn imperative lessons through others in life. Lessons that help people see the line between right and wrong, and make life more enjoyable. Sometimes people experience different things which can teach different lessons, sometimes the wrong lessons. An example of a false conception that many people have is “money is happiness.” Life is what you make of it; only you decide how you are going to live your life. Money isn’t everything.

Who wouldn’t want more money? Maybe you’re driving down the road and you see that car of your dreams being driven by a man with a huge diamond on his hand and a model next to him. Many people dream of that. Although, others have wisdom enough to know that it’s not all about riches. Yes, maybe the man in your dream car has all the money he could ever want, but is he really happy? One thing that all teens need to know before entering college to decide their life career is life will be much better if you chose a career because you love to do it, rather than to choose it because it makes good money. That guy in the nice car might have the money, but what does he do to get it? Does he enjoy his job? There is much more to life, like love and family and it can’t be bought. Love is true happiness.

Meeting the love of your life to many is the most exciting moment in life. Even teens in high school relationships get a taste of what love really is. It’s nice to have someone that you know is always there for you, someone who loves and cares about you. No amount of money can buy love.

Sometimes happiness is found in the most uncommon places. In Louisville, the town I’ve grown up in, there is a man named John who is homeless. He is one of the most unfortunate people in the city, but he’s realized that money isn’t happiness. He goes around town and picks up trash in the community. He is probably the most known man in the city. Teens call him Jesus, because all he does is helps the community and he always has a smile on his face. He is one of the nicest people that anyone can meet. He is a happy man with a small amount of money. For John, money is scarce but helping others is what fills him with joy.

No matter who you are materialistic items that money can buy will never amount to the feeling of doing what you truly love. For some, like John, it’s helping others. For other people it could be sports, friends, love, just about anything. Family and friends are the people in life that mean so much more than money ever could. You can’t buy those people. Money can buy objects, but no amount of money can buy true happiness.