Fantasies for All–And to All a Good Night

Sam - Seattle, Washington

I believe in fanaticizing, at any part of the day and in any class whether it’s science or history. In them I can be the hero running to aid the beautiful maiden as she screams for help while the villain laughs from the shadows. Also, if I am feeling evil, I can be the villain with the hook for my right hand and an eye patch, cackling at the hero’s pitiful attempts and boasting how I will rule the world. Yet I can still always come back to this life I live.

I could trivet to the future were I fight alone side super soldiers as we blast away the evil alien menace, who threaten the human race’s existence. Or I could visit the past were I would take lesions with musicians like Jimmy Hendricks and Mozart or have conversations with Da Vinci or Einstein. Talk to our founding fathers and ask for advice about our problems to day.

When my teacher announced to us that we would be writing essays for “This I Believe.” I was in a day dream about flying around and saving cats from killer trees. To inspirer us she played a CD with some of the winners’ papers. There was the one written by a guy named Joson Sheehan called “There is no such thing as too much BBQ.” There was something like be cool to the pizza dude, one about a woman adapting a little boy from China and then there was Deirdre Sullivan who always goes to the funeral. As the CD was playing I could see them. I could see Joson with the bag of BBQ on the passenger’s seat, Jackie Lantry giving little Luke a bath and him spashing around. Sarah Adams letting the pizza dude cut across her lane and Deirdre walking into a funeral.

Hearing them made me question my own writing abilities. That night I had a dream about me sitting in a sound booth with some guy giving me the three minute sigh as another congratulates me for the umpteenth time for the best essay he has ever heard. I could see the microphone and my paper in my hands. Then the man in the booth said “O.K in three, two, one, you’re on kid.”