Nadia - Seattle, Washington

Spirit of the Song

I believe in music. Music is my favorite form of art. It’s everywhere in life because that’s what music is; existence.

I love how there are so many different varieties of music. Its one of the only things in the world made for everyone, and everyone has there own unique tastes, even if it is Pop, there’s so many different kinds of it. It’s amazing the affect music can have, it can express joy, sorrow, fury, some people even believe certain types of music can even drive people to kill or do other kind of crazy things. Because its endless so many things can be music it makes me think how everything is a song. When I was little I read a book called Gabriela’s song its about how the birds with the ocean waves with the talking of the town creates a song for everyone to enjoy. Life is song if you listen.

Music is connection; connections have a lot to do with memories. One of the most important aspects of my life is Jew camp as funny as that may seem its what I look forward to all year long, we listen, sing and create music pretty much the whole time at camp so when I go home its what I remember most and when a certain song comes on the radio or speakers or whatever I think of what happened when I heard this. I have different songs connected to different people in my life. I moved away from my best friend, but before I moved we used to hang out every weekend and watch the same movies, one movie we always watched was How to Loose a Guy in 10 Days. One song from that movie is “You’re so vain” by Carly Simon we both know every word and sing it as much as possible, whenever I hear it, I always think of her and all the different times we sang it together and who else was there, its like having a sixth sense.

I used to think you had to be some super focused hard-core musician to be able to truly appreciate music or that music could only be important if it was a certain kind but music is everything, it really is life and anyone can like any kind of music and believe anything is music. That’s why I believe in the spirit of the song.