Julie - Oyster Bay, New York
Themes: morality

Marriage – This I Believe

I had just returned from a fun filled trip with my 2nd husband and his parents who I actually enjoy spending time with. How many in-laws can you say that about? They have been married forty eight years by the way.

The phone rang I didn’t recognize the ID # but something told me to pick it up anyway. “Hi… Julie? “Yes” “You don’t know me… but I’ve been having an affair with your husband for the past year and a half”. My heart felt like it was going to explode, my ears started to ring so loud I could barely hear. I thought I was going to projectile vomit right then and there and every nerve ending in my body felt like it was on fire. The man who I thought was my soul mate, the man I trusted and loved more than anybody had betrayed me and turned my life inside out with my heart but a pool on the floor. I desperately turned to my closest girlfriends. The pity party lunch was set for the very next day. Sitting there in a daze staring at the food on my plate, waves of nausea slammed up against the inside of my stomach. I listened to my girlfriends say “He is such a pig! That bastard! What a total sociopath! Guess you won’t be getting married again.” WOW… what a question/statement I thought to myself. I looked into those loving supportive faces staring at me. Seconds passed… my friends looked so confused like an alien was going to pop out of me. Slightly annoyed I answered “Of course I’ll get married again! I love being married. I believe in the institution of marriage. Why wouldn’t I get married again”? I believe I will have my 3 C’s for a successful marriage…, Character, Communication and Chemistry. You bet… I was crushed, hurt, disappointed, sad, and had zero zest for life but I choose to believe I will only get better not bitter. Marriages don’t fail, people fail marriages. OK… so I’ve gone through two painful practice rounds. I still believe marriage can be a wonderful life time experience with the right person. My parents are going on their 51st year of marriage. Sure… they have had their trials and tribulations… that’s the commitment of marriage! It takes one person to ruin a relationship it takes two people to keep it together. I believe marriage is a unique bond of love, marriage takes guts, marriage can’t be one sided and marriage isn’t for quitters.