Daryle - Las Vegas, Nevada

Please Don’t Eat Mimi

My kitty was the prettiest cat in the universe. She had a sleek oil cashmere coat with fluffy white thigh highs. She was thin without being bony and her tail had the coy of a lace fan. Every move of her frame denoted elegance and intelligence or an adorable disposition. Her even temper kept her from clawing, even when I stuck her in the washing machine. Her innocence was her doom, Mimi licked car coolant and all her organs failed on her one by one. I cried and wailed and sobbed, it broke my heart to lose my best friend. Now if someone told me that Mimi was murdered, skinned, roasted with a pear glaze and then eaten, I think I would have screamed “CANNIBAL!” and asked for the death penalty. I believe that eating pets is cruel and unusual punishment. For that simple reason I am a vegetarian.

“Why are you a vegetarian?” are the first words I hear when anyone and everyone find out I do not eat meat. Every person has some witty retort about how ridiculous it is to be a vegetarian. Sometimes it is “God put animals on the planet for the benefit of people,” other times it is “animals are going to die anyways,” but the most common argument is “but you eat plants.” Having to justify my conviction to every passerby is a nuisance; refraining from ingesting rotting flesh is the real challenge.

I wish steaks came with the head of the cow. Being a vegetarian in a meat eating world is like being left-handed. At times it is a difficult decision to live with, especially when I see my dad eating sweet Korean short ribs and my mouth starts to water. At the end of dinner when I have stood firm with my decision; I get a satisfaction that the ribcage of a cow could never afford. I know that if I were to eat that piece of sushi that my brother keeps tempting me with I would be admitting that a dead fish is stronger than me. It is effortless to give up, most people do, but I do not and my determination and strength of will is rare and admired, even though my father and brother will never admit it. I guess what I truly believe in is sticking up for my beliefs.