Madelyn - Las Vegas, Nevada

“Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires… courage.”-Ralph Waldo Emerson

My mother tells me countless times, “You can be anything you want to be, but you just want to be a teacher. Teachers don’t make money. They live from pay check to pay check just like I do.”

Every time I hear her say this, I receive a terrible feeling in my stomach like an earthquake rattling and destroying it; it just continues forever. My career goal is becoming a chemistry professor, but I feel like there are too many set backs for the goal. I can image myself dancing with unexplainable joy when I go to work for the first time knowing the simple fact that I have my own life and career. It is upon me to choose what career I decide for the rest of my life. Other people may disagree with my career choice, but they are not the ones who will live m life. The people who have to consider my course of life as wrong are me, myself and I.

Once my dad told me, he wanted to be a math teacher, but his wife stopped him from continuing college. He dropped out, and I never knew why he dropped out. I always thought he dropped out of school because of me. I found out about seven years later it was not my fault after all. He dropped out because his wife did not like him hanging out with other people and learning new things without her. He is an intelligent, outgoing, and creative man, but he caved into the “critics.” His “course of action” seemed weak and uncourageous.

Surrendering to others is exactly what I will not do. I believe the course I take for my life is my decision and no one else’s but mine. Yes, others may influence it, but I have the main choices. All I need is the courage to follow through with my life’s course. It was my dad’s decision to drop out of college. He allowed his “critics” to make him fell wrong. I will fly individually like an eagle looking for pray. Professor Maddie is what I will reply to ten years from now. I believe I am going to overcome my “critics” and follow through my life’s course with courage and strength even if there are others that may think this course is wrong.