Jessica - Las Vegas, Nevada

Personal Foundation

What consists of a person’s foundation? Family is what gives each person his or her foundation. Family provides a platform for a person to build on. This foundation is as solid as rock. There is always room o build upon.

Since I can remember I have been taught that family is the most important asset that anyone will ever have. My parents taught me that family comes before anything and everything. There is no room for selfishness. More than that, family is always there to support you and help when ever needed. I did not completely understand what they meant by this, but as I grew older I found out what it meant.

At every holiday, whether it is a small one like Mother’s Day or a larger one like Christmas, family was present with open arms and warm hearts. When a family member was sick, everyone did what they could to help. When trouble struck, there was always someone there to support you and lend a hand if possible. I finally caught on to the meaning of family when my youngest brother was born.

My youngest brother, Maximillion, was born with a genetic defect. My immediate family struggled immensely. Since Max had multiple doctor appointments and surgeries, my parents were out of work a lot and the other children needed to be watched over when they were away. Most of my family was there to help my parents whenever possible. Through those tough times, my mom always told me that I needed to be a big girl and help take care of my siblings while dad and her were gone, and I made sure of it. Family is supposed to be there for each other no matter the situation.

From that time on, my mom’s statement has stuck with me. I am the person who I am because of my family. My morals, fears, and lifestyle are shaped from of them. When rocky times hit, we got closer. Family is a strong bond that should never be disregarded for anything or anyone. I believe family is the foundation that supports the molding of a person.