Derek - Louisville, Colorado
Themes: sports

I believe that baseball is the best sport out there. Not only because it is so fun, but also because it gives everyone something to enjoy throughout the summer. It does not matter what your job is, or what type of person you are, when you turn on a baseball game, you just get that feeling of freedom. It has really become summer time. It gives everyone just a time to sit back and relax, to enjoy the boys of summer, and remember the times when we would go out to a field and play a game with our friends. We just remember the good times where all that matters is having fun. We have all gone through these days, and will remember them forever. Every time baseball season rolls around we will remember these times clearly.

I believe all these things are true, because I went through the toughest time of my life last summer, and baseball is one of the events that helped me get through this time most. I will never forget this moment, it is clearly in my memory today, and will be forever. My grandma passed away last summer, and baseball helped me get my mind off of it a little bit. I was really close to my grandma, and I will never accept the fact that I will not be able to spend time with her, or just be with her all together. My family was at the hospital for 5 days with her, we just took turns going home and sleeping, then coming back and being with her for her last moments. The day she passed away, I was taking my math final, and got a call to rush to the hospital as soon as I could. I got to the hospital, and she was already gone. I could not even say goodbye to her. My family spent some time together and went back to what was now only my grandpa’s house. My family was so sad and in disbelief, because just a month early, there was no sign of anything like this coming. We were there for a while, but I had a baseball game that day. My coach told me not to come but I knew that my grandma loved to come watch me play. So I went and played in honor of her. I knew she was still watching me, but this time, from a better seat. The game didn’t take my mind of the fact that she was gone, but it gave me the satisfaction of knowing that she could watch me do everything now. She would not miss another game. This is why baseball is the best sport to me. It reminds me that my grandma is watching me, and I will be with her all the time now, rather than just once in a while. It reminds me of so many great memories I have of my grandma, and I will never forget them, even after I am done playing baseball.

I believe baseball is the best sport in the world, because of all the good times we have. For me, it is because every time I step on the field, I remember my grandma, and no matter how I am playing, she is out there with me. Baseball is one of the things in my life that gives me so many emotions, even though it is hard to show it on the field. Baseball is not played with expression of emotions, but I know they are there. They are there, and my grandma is there too.