Benny - Boulder, Colorado
Themes: death

I believe that nobody should die alone. When I was nine years old my grandpa died of a heart attack, all alone on the front porch. I was off fishing with my parents, and my brother and sister. My grandma was in the house resting because she just got out of the hospital. There was no one there for my grandfather the moment God decided his duties on Earth were complete. That wonderful man did so much in his life to deserve so much more than to die lying on cold hard cement with nobody there for him.

My grandfather was the kind of man that believed the only way to be truly happy you have to help others. He was the man in the trailer park that would rake the leaves, shovel the snow, paint, and hang doors, whatever needed to be done. The only pay he would ask for all of this was just a simple thank you, or a smile. He was the man that would cook, not just for himself and his wife, but for all of his family and the whole trailer park. Cook all of that food all day long, and all he would ask for return was that same little smile that everyone takes for granted. Nothing made my grandfather happier than to see someone smile.

My grandfather gave a little piece of his knowledge into everyone he met. Sometimes you wouldn’t realize that he had until many days, months, or even years afterwards. I’m still figuring out certain things that he taught me. Of course there are the simple things that he just straight up told me, or showed me. He helped to teach me how to cast a line correctly, and he taught me that women are to be treated with respect. Then there were the things that he taught me without actually saying them. Things like; it’s better to talk to God in the wide open land that he made for us, not in the closed in cramped spaces called churches we made for him. He also taught me that I probably will never make a fortune, but to have a family, and be able to provide for that family is worth more than that fortune anyway.

After all that man did for me, I couldn’t even be there for him the only time he truly needed me. All that I can do is be there for those closest to me so they don’t have to die alone, and hope that I will not die alone lying on hard wet concrete. There is nothing that cuts me deeper, than to know that I was not there for him. It’s very possible that the same thing may happen to me. It hurts me even more to know that I don’t deserve what my grandfather deserved, yet that’s what he got. I do not want to die alone, and I don’t want anyone close to me to die alone. I believe nobody should die alone.