Alexes - Las Vegas, Nevada

What About Jelly?

Picture the following scene: A man is sitting on a couch with his daughter; the two of them are spreading Jiffy Peanut butter on slices of bread. When the dad is finished, he folds his slice in half, leaving his daughter to ask him why he did that. Her father tells her “I don’t know. I guess it’s because my dad did it, and I always wanted to be just like dad.” She said she thought that was silly, but soon turned to the side to fold her piece of bread down the middle-just like her dad. They then turned to each other and spent a moment of silence with proud smiles on each of their faces.

This commercial is what has helped to develop a main belief of mine. Everyone has always wanted to be someone else; either by portraying a certain aspect of another person or by presenting a mirror image of them. For the little girl in the commercial, her influence was her father; for me it is my little sister; and for some others it might be a teacher or a rock star. Jiffy Peanut Butter was something that allowed the little girl and her father to bond, but others might bond through common interests or special encounters with each other. As the years change, so do one’s idols. One year a person might want to be Superman, and then the next William Shakespeare. The idea of being as someone else is not what I believe in, I believe is something much stronger than that.

I believe in moments-like the one the commercial illustrates-that people share with one another. We live with these types of moments daily, whether we realize it or not. I believe Jiffy Peanut Butter moments to help people stay sane; they help people realize that we are all not as different, or weird, as we think we are. Those commercial moments help us as a people bond together and keep us interacting with each other on a daily basis. Momentary contacts with other people are the things that keep us active in society, even if we decide to talk to only one person for the rest of our lives. It is Jiffy Peanut Butter that reminds me of special moments, and it is Jiffy Peanut Butter moments that help remind me of where, or rather who, I have developed from.