Nicole - Shelburne, Vermont
Themes: community

The world needs a lot more from us than people realize. There is so much I want to do for people in other countries and for the environment. Someday I hope I can make a difference, somewhere. No matter how big or small this change may be, as long as it helps.

I believe that everyone deserves the chance to travel and donate their services to less fortunate countries. This is important for everyone to do, because it helps to broaden your opinions and views on the world. Traveling is not determined by what your background is; who cares how good you were at AP History back in high school, or if you even went to college? Travel and discovering what the world needs is something everyone can do, and scholarships are also most likely available.

Two years ago, I went to Costa Rica with a group of students from my school. We traveled there with the idea of planting trees to help preserve the country’s rainforest. I feel good about what I did, and I believe our work made a big difference for the people of Costa Rica. My experience in Costa Rica not only gave me satisfaction from helping out, but also gave me the desire to do more in my future.

Abare 2

Costa Rica was my first trip out of the country (not including Canada). It was not your average vacation, but I am glad it turned out to be the way that it did. I would have liked to do more service, but I am still happy with what we did manage to accomplish. In the future when I travel, I would like to incorporate service into those trips as well. I have been to Europe before, and I want to go again, though I feel that under developed countries in Central and South America are more in need of help.

People from all over the United States and other parts of the world hurried to New Orleans in 2005 to provide aid and support for the local citizens. Raising money and getting food and water for the people who lost their homes was one of the jobs that volunteers took on. It does not matter who you are; if you want to do something, nothing is holding you back from doing it. The Peace Corps is another way to get involved. Anything you can do in the country would be beneficial to the citizens. Peace Corps volunteers work in many areas, such as: education, HIV/AIDS, youth counseling, community development, and information technology. If you are involved in the Peace Corps, no two days will be the same. There are many fields within each area of work, resulting in a unique experience for each individual.

I believe that a world citizen tries something new and becomes experienced in new areas of work sometime in their life. This is my personal dream and hope I have for others. As philosopher Saint Augustine once said, “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” Anyone can enrich their lives if they

travel and discover for themselves what other places need.