scott - hagerstown, Maryland

I believe in dogs. Rhubarb was our beloved boxer-lab mix. We got her when she was just weeks old, and she was with us for 17 years. In that time, she witnessed love and joy; fear and despair; rebirth and redemption. She saw the good, the bad, and a whole lotta ugly.

She took it all in stride, this precious pup that had been bestowed upon us. She asked for very little – a spot in front of the fireplace, a walk around the block, and an occasional ham bone to gnaw on. What she gave to us was immeasurable – a constant companion, who never demanded anything.

This morning, as I prepared to take her to the vet’s office, I went to the closet to get her red leash. And, on cue, just as she always done, her tail began to wag, and her back half to wiggle, she picked up the leash in her mouth and headed for the door, full of hope and optimism for the world outside. She didn’t know the end was near. She only knew, just as she had always know, that there was something wonderful on the other side of that door, and she was darned well gonna find out what it was. And, hopefully…she did.