Anshu - Brookfield, Wisconsin

I believe in the power of true friends. When I met my true friend, I was five years old, attending the party of an adult who I had never met before in my life. I met her and right away, being the five year olds that we were, we started playing some imaginary game or another and got along very well. Year after year we stayed friends. She moved into my neighborhood and we would spend every day taking swim lessons together or playing new games that we would make up. It was a new adventure every day. Our friendship seemed to keep each other stable. We would tell each other everything, and any problem one of us had we would work through together. Year after year we stayed friends. Everything seemed perfect.

But then, life happened. She moved away and we completely lost contact. At first we would still try to hang out together but soon we became involved in out separate lives. She spent time with people at her school while I spent time with people at mine. I tried looking for new friends but none of them seemed able to replace her. Frustrations built up inside of me; frustrations which I couldn’t tell anyone. Pain and worry was kept inside, and it just kept adding up. Then, 3 years later, when I was in high school going through my difficult teen years, I received an email from her, out of the blue. She had a problem and asked that I call her in the email. 3 years might not seem like much, but to a person who had evolved into a teenage during those 3 years, it seemed like an eternity. Worried, I phoned her. On the phone she told me she was having some problems in her life which she couldn’t fix so she had asked for help from the one person who she felt she could talk to, the one person whose advice she truly trusted; me. We talked for what seemed like hours, telling each other all the things that had

happened in the past couple years. We went through our problems and tried to work through them, like in old times. It was as if nothing had changed. Now, we email and talk almost everyday, telling each other about any concerns or problem we have in our life. I have become a happier and more content person now, and I know I have someone I can always talk to. I know that I have a true friend who will always be there for me. Therefore, I believe in the power of true friends.