William - Berkeley, California

This I Believe:

I believe that each of us is part of many larger organisms, that of humankind and the Earth to name a couple. I believe that these organisms are four dimensional and include time of existence for each of their cells or parts. In other words, our lifetime is part and parcel of our value as a part in our larger body. For the human organism we are a cell, whose value is the knowledge we gain and pass on in our speck of time, as well as our contribution to the longevity and health of the overall creature. For the Earth we are like bacteria, using and creating resources, as simple as our oxygen to carbon conversion and as complicated as our turning ore into pure iron, or steel, each product interacting with the Earth’s environment like an enzyme or a catalyst for other systems.

Unlike cells in our body I believe we can choose what type of role we play in these bigger organisms.

We can be like a cancer to the humankind creature by using and usurping a disproportionate amount of resources for our individual survival, and spreading this mentality onto others so that they in turn will do the same. We could be a dormant cell using the warmth of the body and nutrition of the blood stream to wait until a purpose may be called for by the body, like a fat cell. We could be a helper T cell and help others form their purpose in the body, or we could be a cell, as most are, that helps construct the body as a whole, working in unison to create a vibrant sophisticated human organism, maintaining our internal system in a way that holds balance of systems and the sustainability of our future.

In the organism of the Earth we can choose to be a bacterium that eats veraciously any resources it can, like salmonella or Strep, using an outrageous amount of resources and energy for our well being until the larger organism dies. Or we can be one that helps keep the balance and creates enzymes that are beneficial for the longevity of our earth organism and help keep energy and resource consumption in balance.

For my life measurement, I wish to be a helper T and to explore and educate my children, friends, and fellow cells in the ways of balance as well as helping construct a healthy humankind body for all people who walk the earth in my time measurement, or any other.