Arianne - Louisville, Colorado

The Power of Choice

Every human being on this earth has the right to choose. I believe we have the unconditional right to choose for ourselves. We can choose easy choices, wrong choices, right choices, bad choices, and hard choices; it doesn’t matter, it is our choice. The choices we make define who we are in life, and what we do with it.

I am an average 16 year old and I strongly believe individuals make choices that shape who they are. I have conveniently stumbled upon this discovery recently while searching for a college and career. However, in this aspect I am different from most people my age. Instead of knowing what I want to do, I know what I don’t want. This way I can choose almost any opportunity for my future that is up for the taking! Unfortunately, for the past three years this has not been the case. I chose to put off important school work to have fun with friends; I chose this frequently. That is a bad choice. I chose to throw away the education that America serves to me on a silver platter!

Now, I am choosing to break the procrastination habit. Every choice I make in my life contributes to breaking it. I discover that procrastination holds me back from things I really want to do. I want an education. I want a life. In order to follow my dreams, I need to make good choices and follow through with that.

I strongly believe that individuals make choices that shape who they are. People will choose to act a certain way. Some choose to be kind, mean, generous, or thoughtful. Whatever they choose, it is completely their choice. Mostly, they way people act is based upon their perspective and attitude towards life: this is also a choice. We are what we choose, period.

We choose what we do with our life; how we impact others or whether we make positive or negative differences in the world. When one stumbles upon a tough situation, it can be dealt with in an infinite number of ways. But when it comes to letting if affect your life you can either make the crummy situation weight you down, or you can use it to lift you up. It is all a matter of personal choice and tolerance. If you stumble upon a good situation in your life, the choice is yours to take advantage of it or to pass it up. Life will not give you rewards unless you choose to seek opportunities it offers. We cannot control what happens to us, but we can choose how it affects us.

Our lives are what we choose. The power of choice makes each individual and their life unique. I believe there is no other choice, but to choose.