Aaron - Louisville, Colorado

Judgment

Throughout my life I have realized that not everyone has the same opportunities or chances as everyone else. I have come to realize that there is such a wide variety of culture, lifestyles, and beliefs that it is impossible to count. And if you judge someone based on their appearance, personal beliefs or culture then you will miss out on an opportunity to learn something from that person. I believe that if you take the time to get to know someone and approach them with an open mind then you just might gain some insight into the many different lifestyles in this world.

I’m not saying that I’m a saint and that I haven’t flash judged anyone because we all do it weather we know it or not. We’ve all seen a hobo on the street begging for your change. When people see him they may tell him to get a job or to go somewhere else, but those people have no idea what he’s been through. They don’t know how he came to be or what’s happened to him in his life that’s forced him to beg for their change, but yet they still assume the worst about him. Why do people this then I ask to myself.

Africa contains over one thousand tribes. Each one has different beliefs than the next one, and each one has a unique and distinct culture. A lot of people will claim that their religion or beliefs on life are correct and that there is a distinct line between right and wrong, good and evil. But who’s to say what’s right or wrong. One thing may be offensive in one culture, but it may be totally acceptable in another. People can believe whatever they want to and they will always be right in their own mind, but it is guaranteed that someone else will believe that they are wrong. They will judge that person based on their culture and their beliefs because they think that their own culture or religion is the only one that should be accepted. So whatever your belief on life is it is guaranteed that at least one of those tribes in Africa will disagree with you.

For those reasons I do not try to preach my ideas or values in life because someone else will have a different opinion about it, and they are entitled to their opinion rightfully so. This is why I believe that you should approach everything in life with an open mind because you never know when you’re going to learn something. Weather it’s a new religion, drugs, alcohol, science, or something completely different, you should never judge someone because they do it because you have no idea what they have been through or what they have done.