Barbara - Saint Louis, Missouri
Themes: place

I believe in home. Home is where the heart is. Home is home sweet home.

Home is on the range, the city, the river, the lake, the burbs.

I believe in the comforts of home, the quiet place after the cacophony of the day.

Home can hold you and warm you when you need succor. Home can shelter you from

the untold cycles of the weather. Home can hold your belongings, whether great or small.

I have lived in many places; cheap and dirty places where a can of paint

performed it’s magic on the dingy walls. Government housing that went

from dream to terror in 10 short years. I have lived with 2 families together and ten children in one bedroom. I have lived in an apartment that had been a doctor’s office over a dirty old grocery store. I have lived alone, I have lived with family, and I have lived with roommates. Now I live with love.

Home is wherever you make it. It may be a teenager’s bedroom, a student’s dorm room, a sleazy hotel room, a box over a heated vent. It may even be a cot in a shelter. But it is your room, your dorm, your hotel room, your box, your cot, your home.

I am very fortunate. My home now, is a nice home. The paint is fresh and the rooms accommodate me. My home is warm in the winter and cool in the summer. In the summertime I can sit on my back porch and watch the birds bathe in the birdbath and build nests on the downspouts. In the winter I can warm myself by the fire.

I can renew my spirit or soothe my wounds in my home. I can prepare a meal that makes the whole house smell of cookies or bake sweet potatoes that spill their sugar on the oven floor. I can read in the peace and comfort of a big easy chair or write volumes in my journal and listen to the crackling of logs on the fire and the scratching of pen on pager. When I am sick, I can go to bed and pull up the covers and make the world go away.

Home is love. Home is the gift box that holds your love and your lovers, your family and your friends. Home is the place for picnics and barbeques and celebrations of births, deaths, holidays and holy days.

Home is a painter’s palette. Home is a designers idea board. Home is a place or room that you can change on a whim. Home is also a place that changes but always stays the same. Home is the place where love grows