Linda - seattle, Washington

It’s amazing how powerful calendars are… it’s now 2007, and I feel obligated to be different than last year. Much like the rest of the world, we are determined to have turned a page. And so that we confirm that the page is there, and that we’re true to our commitment to self and others, we document and profess our different-ness to the world in some way. This is the nature of resolutions, or of new connections, new challenges, new task and purpose.

My resolution is much the same each year, and each year I wonder if there will come a day when what I commit to will change. It does not seem particularly odd to me that I hold to the same challenge each year. And, it seems to me that I make progress with my consistency, and that the adage – “the more I know, the more there is to know” – proves ever true as each year rolls around. So when I wake up on January 2 and reaffirm another year of focus on the same challenge, the most I offer myself is the chance to add another task.

This year, I considered the additional task, but discounted it. Passing “go” is stressful enough, and being at the hearth of one challenge has proven to be a lifelong hill climb. I hope I’m getting in better shape in lots of ways, as I notice more about the world around me, learn to give more, appreciate the goodness in others, trust more, and in the end attract more kindness to a world that needs it.

It’s a simple challenge – my resolution: I would like to be everything I can be.