David - Danvers, Massachusetts

The last couple of months for me have been difficult. Moving From New York to Massachusetts has proved to be a much bigger deal that I ever could have imagined. I really couldn’t have said this 6 months ago but now I can say that I do believe in valuing what you have.

Like most teenagers I have always hated school. My friends and I would always complain about our school not being able to keep good temperatures, and how horrible the lunch was and how crowded our halls where. But we never focused on the fact that we had a food court instead of a regular cafeteria. Or the fact that most of the school was basically brand new and in perfect condition. Every year I would complain about the standardized tests we would have to take but never realized that it ensured the a high-quality education unmatched anywhere else.

I didn’t even value the people around me very well, even my close friends. There’d be many times where I’d be invited to go out somewhere, just to hang out at the mall or Carvel but I’d blow it off just because I didn’t feel like it. Now I find myself just wishing I could go call someone up and just say let’s walk down to 7-11 and grab a slurpee.

I find myself missing the comforts of what used to be my home. We had a huge property and spent weekend after weekend mowing the lawn, opening the pool, cleaning the leaves, and then shoveling the snow from our driveway. And I hated it, I would complain every time and argue with my parents to move to an apartment or condo. But instead of complaining this summer I spent this summer aching to go take a swim in the pool instead of packing up boxes. And this fall I missed smelling the leaves and looking out on the leaves changing color in the woods in my backyard. And I know that this winter I won’t get to see the beauty of white snow covering my deck, and the lawn, and the evergreen tree’s all the way in the back.

I was so used to everything that I had that I only found what I didn’t like in my environment. And I really don’t think I’m the only one that thinks and feels that way. But I’ve been going through the difficult experience of moving hundreds of miles away, and now I’ve realized that what I had was probably as best as life can get.