Sean - Danvers, Massachusetts

Power of Music

I believe in many things, but the one thing that I have a firm belief is in music. Music has the power to actually make you think and feel. The reason that music is truly profound because it combines action and emotion to create something truly immaculate. Music is something that can link all people over the world. Right now music is telling a story in a third world country through a drum and it’s also being used in America or Europe through a profound Jerry Garcia guitar lick.

I find it easy to believe in music because it helps me in my everyday life. As an example as I am writing this a Grateful Dead jam is helping me realize why I believe in music. Music is something that you can just use to relax and to calm yourself. Listening to music also has a healing power through its words. One song that always affects me on a personal level is Touch of Grey by The Grateful Dead. I listen to Touch of Grey because the upbeat tempo and its wisdom remind me that even though the man is keeping me down at the moment, “I will get by I will survive and that every silver lining has a touch of grey.”

Believing in music has helped me discover the many ways that music can inspire and make people think about their lives. For example, years ago my “crazy Uncle Phil” would always tell stories about his adventures at a Grateful Dead Concert and how each time he had seen The Dead from the seventies to the mid nineties had always been a life changing experience. Back then I would never be able to imagined ever have my life changed by a song. But now, since I have learned to listen to music through my mind and not just my ears I can see that music can indeed change lives.

The most profound reason for my belief in Music is that it speaks to my soul. As embarrassing as it is to admit my dream is to be a front man for a band playing a “woodstockesque” venue. Its something that a lot of people dream of, just jamming with some of your friends and a bunch of people in the audience totally digging it. That’s another reason why I believe in music. Music is always inspiring people do great and amazing things like get the masses to wake up and think through something that comes from the heart. Everyday I am forced to think or act by hearing the words of John Lennon and Jim Morrison. I think, is there anything I can do by “giving peace a chance” (John Lennon, give peace a chance) or by finally realizing that, “Once you expose yourself to fear it is now powerless to you and then you are truly free.”(Jim Morrison Just said it randomly).

To me, music has always been more then just a couple of notes and some words. Music is the guitar solo that reverberates thorough your head after the headphones have been shut off; it’s the song lyric that you deeply think of and perhaps even changes your life. But most of all music is a power in itself that will always be there to show me the way and help me realize the true beauty of the human mind.