alex - Danvers, Massachusetts
Themes: sports

I do not have any profound story of finding faith or of morality. Although my belief may not be some universal truth about humanity it is still no less important; at least to me and the millions of other people who skateboard.

To many skateboarding is nothing more than a nuisance and a waste of time, but to me it is an activity that I can do what I want, when I want, how I want. Skateboarding allows for me to be creative and think in ways that I normally would not. When most people walk up a curb or past a ledge they do not think twice about it, but when I do I see the potential for limitless possibilities. Skateboarders have been able to take their surroundings and use them for something other than their intended purpose. C.R. Stecyk, a skateboarder and photojournalist, realized the creativity in skateboarding when he wrote in a skateboard magazine, “Two hundred years of American technology has unwittingly created a massive cement playground. It took the minds of 12 year olds to realize its potential.”

Also through skateboarding I have learned that to achieve a goal you must be fully committed to the goal. If I want to try something new trick on a skateboard it can take hours and this is where the commitment comes in. Once I have a trick in mind it can take all day and yet I will continue to try until I can land it. Even if I smash my face on the pavement or hear the crunch from a twisted ankle I eventually will continue and try to progress. This integrity that I have gained from skateboarding can be used in my life outside of skateboarding as well. It has shown me that as long as I stay committed I can achieve something despite setbacks whether they come in the form of broken bones and scarred hands or a bad grade on a test.

Another aspect of skateboarding that is very important to me is the people that I have met and the friendships that I have formed. Throughout the time that I have spent skateboarding I have met many people that I otherwise would have never known. Some of my closest friends I have met through skateboarding. Interacting with all of these different people has allowed me to hear ideas and go places that the average person who does not skateboard might not do.

So, whether or not you think that skateboarding is just a waste of time, for me it has become one of the biggest parts of my life. It is something that I do almost everyday and when I am not, I am thinking about it and trying to think of new tricks to learn. The creativity, the challenges, and the friendships are what make skateboarding so amazing and are why I believe in skateboarding.