Eric - Danvers, Massachusetts
Themes: work

Hard Work is the Key to Success

I believe that hard work and determination lead to success. Throughout my life my parents have continuously stressed the importance of hard work and determination in achieving one’s goals. Every day I think about what they tell me and ways that I can apply their strategies to my everyday encounters. By observing my parents and the world around me, I have realized that hard work is a vital attribute to possess.

The first time that I truly needed to put my parents words to the test occurred in 2003 while I prepared for my Bar-Mitzvah. Upon exiting my first Bar-Mitzvah lesson I uttered those famous words, “I can’t do this.”

My parents replied instantly, “Remember what we told you about hard work and determination.”

Those words stuck in the back of my mind for the next five months as I continued to study hard and prepare for one of the biggest days of my life. There were some days in which I wanted to give up and throw in the white flag, but deep down in my heart I knew I could do it, and expected nothing less than perfection. As the day drew near I became more anxious by the minute. However, that anxiety wore off after I completed a near flawless Bar-Mitzvah service. Immediately after the service I felt an enormous sense of accomplishment. For a period of five minutes or so, I felt like superman, that I could climb Mount Everest, that I could accomplish anything. To me, there is no greater feeling than achieving a goal you have worked so long and hard for.

About two years ago hard work and determination guided me through another scary portion of my life. I am always up for challenges, however challenges that put my safety in jeopardy, I normally think twice about. On a cold winter day at Sugarloaf Mountain in Maine I decided to ski one of the mountain’s toughest double black diamond runs. When I arrived at the top of the run, I looked down the forty-five degree pitch of white and contemplated bailing out of the challenge. Nevertheless, I was determined to ski this trail and decided to make my descent down the icy slope. Sure enough I completed the run impeccably. I still remember the sense of joy and accomplishment I felt as I turned to look at the steep slope I had just previously descended.

Not only has hard work and determination paid of in athletics and academics, it has also made me stronger mentally. When I fail at something or make a mistake, I work hard to learn from it and do my best to improve. Whether I drop a pass or fail a test, instead of dwelling on the moment, I am determined to not let those instance’s occur again and to learn from my errors.

Throughout my childhood and to this day I have come to realize the importance of hard work in the making of a successful individual. I will continue to give my best effort in everything I do because with hard work, comes rewards and success.