Samantha - Danvers, Massachusetts

Ever since middle school social life inside and outside of school has gone downhill. I have tried to fit in with some of my peers; however most of them do not want to accept me for the person that I am. Also, there have been times when I go home and get really upset over the fact that I do not have many friends or anyone to hang out with.

During school I feel left out and shut out from the rest of the student body. In some of my classes, there is always downtime where we can talk or just do homework. In those time periods, instead of being able to talk with other students I am forced to be alone. I have also noticed that more than any other kid I get smirked at or laughed at when I say or do something wrong.

Being accepted by peers is something that I take very seriously and strive for. The many times, that I have had to work with another student on a project or during class, have been difficult. A month ago I got made fun of for working at a grocery store by someone in our grade that I don’t even talk to most of the time. Now, that just does not make sense to me, but that is probably because I am a little bit different and so that person has the right, in their opinion, to make fun of me. I also remember times that I have been made fun of for the ways in which I talk, my weight or just because I am easy to pick on. If you knew me, those things would not be important. Also, if you got to know me I am a really nice and caring person.

Most students just don’t understand that some kids seem different but in reality they are just like them. Another fact is that if someone is just a tiny bit unlike another person they are shunned, which is wrong. It has always been important to me to be able to have friends that like me for who I am.

And this I believe… that people, young people in particular, have trouble accepting others if they are different in any way.