David - Edgewood, Maryland

I believe in going against all odds!

Yes the odds seemed against me, but I believe in going against all the odds people seem to believe hinder them from achieving. I believe due to their belief they are hindered from achieving all they can, if only they believed in going against all odds.

Growing up in a small town, with mostly negative, small thinking, non-dreaming, lack of goal setting families, the majority of my peers considered their plight in life was to stay where they were for their entire existence. To this very day, after all the years they continue to have the same opportunities I have to get out and make it happen for them; instead they have allowed themselves to live in utter apathy and self-doubt.

I recall the very moment as a youth making the mental decision to become the razor sharp horizon where the darkness meets the light of those I grew up with. It was after reading a book by Dale Carnegie “How To Win Friends and Influence People” that my belief in myself became a reality. This in turn sparked my interest in becoming more than all those around me viewed as their plight in life, this was the same day I had the revelation that I had to go against all odds!

I vividly recall the many occasions when the very people whom I grew up with, who I considered my friends gradually became acquaintances, I was never condescending or demeaning toward them. Many of them began to draw further away year after year, when we would talk and I asked how they are doing their standard comment was well you know the same old, same old or another day another dollar. They would ask me what I was doing and how I was and I would answer with cheerful-sincerity, not knowing that answering their question in great detail would eventually become the chafe that would separate us.

People I grew up with see me and say David you sure are lucky, you get all of the breaks or I wish I was as fortunate as you. They are all of the people on the outside looking in; they are looking through a small, tinted window of their own perceptions of what they believe to be reality. They believe with strong conviction I am given all the good opportunities that I participate in.

Take this “I Believe” essay I am writing now, when these same people hear and read this they will again look and ask me in disbelief, yet in awe of how it is that I manage to continually acquire such attention from movers and shakers like National Public Radio. What they do not see or know is in all circumstances in my life like this article, thus far, I have brought upon myself by going against all odds.