Sam - Holliston, Massachusetts
Themes: work

Nothing ever seems to work out. Think about when you’re trying to do something and you fail every time and it takes you what seems like a long time to accomplish it. I believe nothing comes easily.

I believe that when you work hard to accomplish a goal, it feels better inside. Most of the time, I achieve more knowledge and experience that way. For example, I got a bad grade on a quiz. I studied like there was no tomorrow. Then, I probably got a better understanding of the material than those who learned it more simply. Many people in the past who have thrived also had trouble at first. Ben Franklin did not discover electricity overnight. He had once said “Energy and persistence conquer all things,” so if he worked hard, he could accomplish anything like proving lightning was a form of electricity.

I remember back when I was learning to water ski. We had been invited for a day on our friend’s Malibu water skiing boat for a day on Lake Cochituate. This was my first time water skiing and it didn’t go well. I threw myself in the warm, mucky, gasoline polluted water with my skis on. I yelled that I was ready to go. The boat accelerated and so did I, head first into the water. This happened over and over again until I gave up for the day with bruises and pains on my arms and back. The next summer, we were invited again. I kept on repeating in my head what the driver had told me, “Let the boat pull you up.” Nervously, I hopped into the water. I screamed, “Ready!” and the boat accelerated. Cautiously, I got up on both skis, gliding over the surface of the water. I soared over the water like I water skied my whole life.

This affected me greatly. Now, I was more patient and I understood that nothing comes easily because I had worked so hard to get up on skis. With the patience I now had, my life was simplified especially when I was learning to play the saxophone. Although it was difficult, I knew that it would take a lot of time, practice and help. It was actually easier than I thought it would be because I set my mind to it and I practiced.

In summary, you can accomplish anything you wish with a little patience and hard work. I found that to help me everyday and you can too!