Mikeq - Washington, North Carolina
Themes: love

It is July 14, 2001. At approximately 5am, I am somewhere in the nether regions of Delaware and Maryland on Hwy 13 driving South. “What the hell am I doing?”, was a question I asked myself many times that night and early morning. There was still time to turn back. Mom and Dad would take me back in a heartbeat.

I had all my worldly possessions in my 1993 Dodge Intrepid and about 500 bucks in my pocket. I had no job lined up at my destination which was Washington, NC. I had only met the woman I would soon marry and share parenting duties with a few months earlier. By any measure, it was a longshot to make a new life under such circumstances work.

What I did have, however, was this inner voice telling me what I had always proclaimed publicly. “Love conquers everything….even the illogical.” It is a voice that I had thought I had heard many times before through failed loves and lost relationships. This time was different. And, despite the bewildered look of my parents when I left that night, I pressed on. Five and a half years after that long drive, I am convinced that the voice I heard in my heart was indeed the voice of my God leading me down a wonderfully strange, trying, and rewarding path. I have grown in more ways than I can express through the experience of step-parenting and marriage. My wife and I rely on each other more and more as each day passes. Each day we are keenly aware of how our lives together began and how absolutely crazy it must have looked from the perspective of our family and friends.

Nevertheless, my core belief has not changed; in fact, it has grown stronger. “Love conquers everything!” Indeed it does.